Sunday, January 16, 2022

Welcome Aboard

When I first began working for L&F Industries in 1993, one of the leading OEM machine builders and integraters of its time in the US, there was a sense of renewal and growth with new learning opportunities waiting for me. Little did I know that my previous career path in the Industrial Hydraulics field would fill just a small portion of my responsibilities there. Then one day, I was handed a drawing package containing a mass of mechanical assemblies for an Optical Telescope. A telescope? What do I know about telescopes. Well, thanks to so many people at L&F Industries, one being Mr. Terry King our resident senior engineer, and some very skilled technicians, my future in the Precision Mechanical world began.

I am still in awe as to the size and scope of this project. I believe if you were to ask anybody at L&F Industries and the folks that attended our Magellan Open House day what they thought about this fantastic instrument, they would probably reflect the same sense of awe as I have. This is the second of two Telescope Mounts we produced along with Magellan I, and is considered L&F's greatest achievement. I've tried to explain to my family, friends and colleagues the size and scope of this project but have seemed to miss the mark in giving them an accurate picture of it. So, I thought it would be neat to give you an employee's perspective of this project on the floor with a few images that Mr. Dave Chivens, President of L&F Industries has so graciously allowed me to post here.

 

 
Yours truly, Eric Johnson
 L&F Industries Assembly Department Supervisor
1990-99

 


 
The Assembly Crew
 
From left: Martin Diaz (electrician), An Ngo (engineer), Johnny Brown (welder-assy), Ramiro Diaz (hydraulics-painter), Larry Carr (hydraulics), Clyde Taylor (assembler), and Me.
 
In front: Danny Mergell (hydraulics), and Abdom Juarez (painter-helper). All these employee's worked thousands of hours with many, many challenges and with much expertise. I am proud of this project and these employee's. Thanks!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts